Saturday, March 5, 2011

Next Up: Santiago de Chile!

 One week from now, I will be in the air between Atlanta and Santiago, Chile. Similar to our Ghana trip in 2008 and my trip to China in 2010, I will be accompanying students from Kelley's Emerging Economies class on a spring break tour to take a closer look at business practices in less developed but rapidly expanding economies.

This time I am the trip leader. My Spanish is poor, so I'm glad we are traveling with some people who have much better language skills than I do. I will be accompanied by 18 undergraduate business students, a faculty member, another staff member (a former Spanish teacher), and a graduate student from the Center for Latin American and Carribean Studies. On Wednesday evenings this semester the graduate student, Michael, has been teaching our class about the history, politics, economics, and culture of Chile. Chile's economy is generally considered to be the most stable in Latin America. While the 17-year reign of dictator Agusto Pinochet is marred by human rights abuses, the country entered a period of economic growth during that era which continues today.

We will travel from March 12-20, spending most of the time in Santiago although we will take a day trip to Valparaiso on March 18. Unlike my previous trips to Oxford and China, I will not be writing the Kelley blog for the trip. However, there will be an official trip blog, and I will pot that address here when I get it.

It's been just more than one year since the "big" earthquake in Chile. I'm hoping not to experience one, but just to be safe, I did inquire the other day at Red Cross training about earthquake safety tips. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment