Friday, March 4, 2011

9 Months Later: One more video from South Africa

I realize this isn't exactly a current event, but I've had this final video from South Africa sitting on my desktop. Time to post it, because I leave next week for the next big trip!

This was taken in the northern part of the country on our drive from Kruger Park back to Johannesburg. The area is a former homeland, and I felt like I really knew I was in Africa as we passed these homes.


A few final thoughts about our trip - before I forget them. I may have blogged before about how the entire country seemed to be behind the World Cup. Everyone wore soccer jerseys, street vendors sold World Cup souvenirs and vuvuzelas, museum displays and theatre events featured soccer, all the store displays referenced soccer, soccer coverage on the radio, on TV, in the newspapers, soccer billboards everywhere... I don't think I've mentioned that there was even soccer-related road-side art. I don't even remember the specifics now, but it did strike me at the time. It was a pretty cool atmosphere.

I hope the country is doing well. I know there was a lot of controvery surrounding the expense of the stadiums and other infrastructure. People argue that not all South Africans benefited from the influx of foreign money. Others say that FIFA reaped the rewards, but the people of South Africa did not. Economists claim a country can never reclaim it's investment in such an event.

I believe the country and the people of South Africa were excellent hosts. They pulled off the World Cup in spectacular fashion. I loved it, and it seemd to me that the South Africans had a lot of pride in their accomplishment. Nine months later, I hope that pride remains.

Meanwhile, my parents are preparing to return to South Africa. I am jealous. But they've been given very specific orders to return bearing Crunchyvites!!

No comments:

Post a Comment