Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 7

Today started with a short flight to Antalya - a city on the Western Mediterranean Coast. Once we'd collected all of our luggage (which is expanded with each stop) we headed to the Adonis Hotel. If I described Ismir as Miami I was wrong - Antalya is like Miami with the exception of the beach. There are miles and miles of tall white, off-white, and light sand colored condos along the water front. There is also a lot more skin showing here and a bar/club on just about every corner. I walked for over a mile down the main road that we are on and as best I could tell the tourists outnumbered the locals.

Okay, so when my itinerary said that we would have a free day at the beach I envisioned a long walk along a sandy beach - I was a little surprised. Our hotel is indeed right on the water but it's about three stories down on the side of a cliff. Not to worry because they built stairs, a lift, and a deck. Before going exploring however we had lunch. It was in the style of a New York deli or a European cafe where you just sit wherever you find an open seat. I sat with a man from Russia - turns out that they make up the largest block of tourists here. We didn't talk much due to the language difference but we stumbled over a few words in English and Turkish.

After getting everything into the room it was down the stairs to the sea. Wow, the water was very warm and because it was so deep there were hardly no waves which meant you could float almost effortless. The water was so clear you could see the bottom but even with my best try I couldn't get close to it. So this wasn't a place for Muslims who are for the most part very conservative in dress. I did see a women wearing a bikini - modest compared to so others but nevertheless a bikini - who was still covering her hair with a veil. I'll have to ask about that because it didn't make much sense to me. I'll report back another day. After two great swims I took a shower and walked for a couple of miles exploring the city. Unfortunately the strip of condos never ended so I didn't find the old city - that will be on tomorrow's tour. Dinner was some nice broiled white fish covered with a few vegetables and some stock reduction. Again the salads where endless and better than 99% of what I'm used to seeing in the States.

Before I sign off I've been reading and hearing a little bit about Fathullah Gulen, whom our host at the Parliament mentioned, and he seems very interesting. I'm not sure he has any direct connecting to this trip I'm on, but his philosophies of intercultural/faith dialogue is worth more investigation.

1 comment:

  1. That is a dramatic coast. You're right - I would have liked it!

    ReplyDelete